Sunday, February 6, 2011

the revolution is around me in cairo 1

What an empowering feeling to actually write and publish a blog! This was an idea proposed by my father since I am living through a revolution in Cairo. I have been feeling disempowered in the sense of not being sure how to contribute and be part of this revolution that is happening around me. My father suggested documentation. People here do talk to me and share their perspectives, so it is time for me to reflect on it. Two weeks have passed and I am not sure what to make out of the events. It started on Monday Jan 24, with a lot of talk about "let us protest against this tyrant government". It sounded all very revolutionary and almost inplausable. I am not even sure what has sparked all these revolutionary sentiments. I did join at some point "we are all khaled saeed" on facebook, given that young man in Alex who wrongfully got beaten to death by police. The group played as a watch dog on all the government's wrong doings. I closely monitored with the people. It did arouse me almost every single time and I felt angry and helpless. Why should the Arab world tolerate such awful governments who do not work by "serving citizens?! Egypt for me is part of the Arab world who have this commonality of "dictators", "secret police", "corruption", and "poverty". Any "uprising", "revolt", or "revolution" against those corrupt and badly run governments sounds good to me. At some point, Egypt seemed to have woken up, mobolized by late 20th century technology. The internet users have organized and called for the protests. Change was bound to happen. I siged "At Last!". Yet, what can I do? I am a half Palestinian and half Serbian woman, 26 years old, and a student of Gender and Women Studies in Cairo. More importantly and I have been identifying with this little fact even more lately, since my Fiance is Egyptian. I usely pride in this last fact to people here which elicits the reaction of "that means you care about Egypt since you are marrying one". That might be true, maybe that is why I care about Egypt even more. Other than haven lived in the Arab world for most of my life, and I idenitfy with "Arab Unity", Egypt has become a home with some serious future considerations for it on my mind. What will come out of this revolution that was started by Egyptian youth? So far and the most significant accomplishment is "breaking the barrier of fear from those governments", as my significant other says. And, I will leave all my cynical remarks in another post.     

5 comments:

  1. شي حلو كثير بداية ومقدمة حلوة ، املي كبير ان نحس نبض الناس والافكار والتلفاز والصحف والبقال وعم سيد وفاطمة الشغالة ، وسائق التاكسي ، هؤلاء هم نبض الحياة في القاهرة وهم ابلغ واكثر صدقا من كل التنظيرات وجهابذة الاعلام

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful you are writing and feel blessed to hear your insight and thoughts. Bravo Katrin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hayati,

    Great start. We hope for me to come. Shall we spread your blog on our profiles? People should read about your throw ups. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, i am a bit shy to share with too many people. especially that i am really not taking care of my grammar or spelling. but thanks for following. i will be writing more but it is sometimes difficult when i am glued to the tv all day or talking about this all--- way too many details. i am in the state of BREAKING NEWS ALL DAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Katrin, I wanted to hear what you have to say about this, I can see tv all day too, but you!! you should be experiencing the real thing, OMG how are you cooping? it all reminded me of the days in Ramallah when the Ejteyah happened, we were living the thing not watching it on tv, it wasn't so bad for us then or so we thought, we laughed about things, we got mental too, looking back, it was bad, no one should go through unnecessary suffering all their life, they should do something about it once and for all.

    ReplyDelete